Jessica S. Humphries
tel: (910) 202-4612 | fax:
Jessica S. Humphries focuses her practice on civil litigation and construction law. Her legal experience includes construction defect litigation, insurance defense and coverage analysis, personal injury, business law, employment law, family law, and criminal law. Ms. Humphries is admitted to practice in North Carolina and South Carolina and regularly represents clients in both states.
Ms. Humphries received her bachelor’s degree in political science from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a minor in chemistry. After college, she moved to Wilmington and worked as a paralegal for approximately three years prior to attending law school at Campbell Law School. She graduated from Campbell Law School, cum laude, with a concentration in trial and appellate advocacy. While in law school, she was selected by Campbell Law into Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges, she achieved honors in Advanced Trial Advocacy, and she achieved book awards for Legal Research and Writing, Foundations of Law, Family Law, and Law Practice Management. In addition, she was a Comments Editor on the Campbell Law Review, a Student Bar Association Representative, and a Campbell Peer Mentor.
- Represented general contractors, developers, and subcontractors against construction defect claims involving single family residences and residential condominium complexes.
- Defended developers, general contractors, subcontractors, and corporate officers against claims of negligence, breach of contract, breach of warranty, and unfair and deceptive trade practices.
- Represented individuals in personal injury litigation, including claims arising from automobile and trucking accidents and exposure to toxic gases.
- Represented clients in employment disputes involving non-compete agreements and unemployment claims.
- Represented Health Care Providers in judicial review hearings involving voluntary and involuntary commitments.
Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law at Campbell University (J.D.), cum laude
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (B.A.)
North Carolina State Bar
South Carolina State Bar
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
Articles, Presentations, and Publications
“Top 10 Legal Myths and Misconceptions”, by Rebecca Knudson and Jessica Humphries, Wilmington-Cape Fear Home Builders Association, The Tool Box (Vol. 32, No. 7), August 1, 2016
“The Kaleel Conundrum: Unsettled Questions Raised by Kaleel Builders, Inc. v. Ashby, 161 N.C. App. 34, 587 S.E.2d 470 (2003),” co-author with H. Mark Hamlet, W. Walter Rapp, and Jessica C. Tyndall: North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys’ 37th Annual Meeting and Seminar, June 12-15, 2014.
Fifth Judicial District Bar
New Hanover County Bar Association
North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
North Carolina Association of Women Attorneys, Coastal Women Attorneys Chapter, Board Member, CLE and Social Committee Chair 2017; President 2018
North Carolina Bar Association, Litigation and Construction Law Section Member
Associated Builders and Contractors of the Carolinas (ABC), Government Affairs, Committee Member
Awards and Honors
North Carolina 2019 Super Lawyers, Rising Star
Business North Carolina magazine, 2019 “Legal Elite”
Selection criteria for Super Lawyers can be reviewed below at:
Cape Fear Habitat For Humanity, Volunteer; Women Build Team Leader 2018
Graduate of Leadership Wilmington, Wilmington Chamber of Commerce, Class of 2017
Member of WILMA’s Leadership Institute, Class of 2019